50hour inspection on CE172S

John777

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Louis
So, when I rented a plane from FBO, I checked the due tachometer reading and it was beyond the scheduled 50hr inspection. The dispatcher at FBO still gave out the plane and we were good to go.

So, how does 50hr inspection works and can it also be skipped?

John.

So, when I rented a plane from FBO, I checked the due tachometer reading and it was beyond the scheduled 50hr inspection. The dispatcher at FBO still gave out the plane and we were good to go.

John.
Sounds like an oil change and a quick look over; doesn't SEEM regulatory.

A lot can happen to a rental airplane in 50 hours so it isn't a bad idea.

Sounds like an oil change and a quick look over; doesn't SEEM regulatory.

A lot can happen to a rental airplane in 50 hours so it isn't a bad idea.
Do we actually have statement in FAR ?

There isn't a reg that makes a 50 hour inspection mandatory. There are 50-hour maintenance items in some maintenance manuals. I have yet to hear of a 50-hour AD. All of them I see are 100-hour, yearly, or longer.

I would almost bet it is for an oil change.

You won't find an FAR saying something isn't mandatory like that. They just spell out what is mandatory.

John.
I believe inspections are due at 100-hrs, not 50-hrs.

As mentioned, it's likely the 50hr was for an oil change.

Being flown for a commercial purpose (ex. Flight training) would require a 100hr inspection. Don't fret it.

Last edited:
As mentioned, it's likely the 50hr was for an oil change.

Being flown for a commercial purpose (ex. Flight training) would require a 100hr inspection. Don't fret it.

50 hour service is a customary oil change, not an inspection, as has been said several times.

As such, there is significant slop in it. 40-60 hours seems like a common range.

It's like changing the oil in your car. 5500 miles instead of 5000 (or whatever) is not a big deal at all. The 100 hour is more like an annual safety inspection done in some states. Going over that is a no-no, with some limited exceptions.

50 hour service is a customary oil change, not an inspection, as has been said several times.

As such, there is significant slop in it. 40-60 hours seems like a common range.

It's like changing the oil in your car. 5500 miles instead of 5000 (or whatever) is not a big deal at all. The 100 hour is more like an annual safety inspection done in some states. Going over that is a no-no, with some limited exceptions.

If OP is just renting the airplane, with no CFI, he doesn't even need to comply with the 100hr inspection requirements. The 100hr is only required if passengers are being carried for hire or if flight instruction is being provided in an airplane the CFI provides. For just pure rental, OP could even exceed the 100hr inspection (though many 172s have a 100hr seat rail AD that can't be overflown).

172Ss do not have the seat rail AD. That's a pre-restart thing.

Just about every FBO I've ever seen does 100 hour inspections on aircraft used for flight instruction. It seems there is some gray area as to what "providing the aircraft" means.

Just about every FBO I've ever seen does 100 hour inspections on aircraft used for flight instruction. It seems there is some gray area as to what "providing the aircraft" means.
Hopefully they all would be, it's a mandated FAR in 91.409.

I have yet to hear of a 50-hour AD. All of them I see are 100-hour, yearly, or longer.

I can think of quite a few 50 hour ADs right off the top of my head. There are some even more onerous than that.

Hopefully they all would be, it's a mandated FAR in 91.409.

Not exactly. Only if the "person" provides the airplane. Which person is that referring to? Most CFIs do not have direct control over who gets rented what.

172Ss do not have the seat rail AD. That's a pre-restart thing.

Very true. But it's not the "general use" of the airplane that matters, it's the particular operation that does. Just because the airplane is sometimes, or even most times, used for flight instruction and the CFI "provides" the plane does not mean that now EVERY use of the airplane requires a 100hr. If the airplane has flown 101 hours since it's last 100hr inspection, it can't be used for instruction if the CFI is providing the plane. But Joey Renter can take the plane, without a CFI, for a $100 burger.

So did you fly it before seeking out the answer here?

As a pilot you should be familiar with Part 91 including 91.409.

Very true. But it's not the "general use" of the airplane that matters, it's the particular operation that does. Just because the airplane is sometimes, or even most times, used for flight instruction and the CFI "provides" the plane does not mean that now EVERY use of the airplane requires a 100hr. If the airplane has flown 101 hours since it's last 100hr inspection, it can't be used for instruction if the CFI is providing the plane. But Joey Renter can take the plane, without a CFI, for a $100 burger.
:yeahthat: This

I can think of quite a few 50 hour ADs right off the top of my head. There are some even more onerous than that.
I haven't been active in aircraft maintenance for a terribly long time and my work is mainly on single engine piston planes.

Is there a 50-hour AD which is specific to the 172 or its systems?

Correctamundo. It is surprising how many pilots do not understand this. Heck, I have even known some FBO owners who did not know that they could do a straight rental outside of the 100 hour.

Correctamundo. It is surprising how many pilots do not understand this. Heck, I have even known some FBO owners who did not know that they could do a straight rental outside of the 100 hour.

For the CFIs here, remember back to the FOI test: this is the principle of primacy at work. Someone once told them a 100hr is required for all rentals. That creates a "strong, almost unshakable, impression." Even when faced with clear wording in the regs, they don't want to accept anything different than what they first learned.

I haven't been active in aircraft maintenance for a terribly long time and my work is mainly on single engine piston planes.

Is there a 50-hour AD which is specific to the 172 or its systems?

If the aircraft is a 172N with the H2AD engine, then yes. AD 80-04-03 R2 applies and is due at 50 hour intervals. But beyond that, I can't think of anything off the top of my head. I haven't done much SE Cessna work lately.

Some of the Cherokees have a 50 hour AD on their exhaust, and I believe there is a 50 hour AD on the Cherokee Six fuel system. There is also at least one fuel system AD on Aztecs that is either due "prior to the first flight each day" or every 50 hours, depending on serial number.

Back