Itr4 audit versus no audit option (equity trading)

Anil Singh (8 Points)

19 September 2016  
I am a professional engineer and my main source of income is from my job salary and I fall in 30% tax slab based on my salary. In addition, I also do equity trading heavily. I have intraday profit(1 lac), equity-delivery based profit (1.2 lac) and long-term capital gains profit (10 lac) all these three from the equity trading. I don't do any F&O. I am filing ITR4 first time because I have started trading.

I would like to know your guidance on which option I choose among the below two options for filing ITR4?

Option1 :
In this option, I show intraday profit (1 lac) as my business income on a 4 lac turnover, equity delivery profit of 1.2 lac as short term capital gains (tax STCG 15%) and long-term gains of 10 lac (no tax on LTCG). Hence in this option, when I file ITR4 then I will not need to go for CA audit because my turnover is 4 lac and intraday profit is 1 lac which is more than 8% of turnover.

Option 2:
In this option, I show intraday profit (1 lac) as my business income on a 4 lac turnover, equity delivery profit of 1.2 lac also as my business income whose turnover is 90 lac and long-term gains of 10 lac as captial gains (no tax on LTCG). Hence in this option,  when I file ITR4 then I will be requiring the CA audit because my turnover in this case will become 94 lacs (i.e. total of 4 lac turnover from intraday and 90 lacs turnover from equity delivery) and profit will be 2.2 lac (i.e. total of 1 lac from intraday and 1.2 lac from equity delivery. In this option, my profit of 2.2 lac will be less than 8% of turnover of 94 lac which will require CA audit while filing ITR4.

I would like to know your guidance of which of the two options should I choose when I file ITR4. That is, should I show intraday as business income alone which is option 1 and doesn't require CA audit **OR** should I show both intraday and equity delivery based option as business incomes and go for CA audit which is option 2?

I understand that whichever option I choose then I will need to follow that option in ITR4 in all the subsequent years to come, is that right?

Thanks.