Firewire to HDMI connection

kklmanual

Novice Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience in connecting a camcorder with IEEE 1394 firewire out to a TV's HDMI in? Other than using a PC, is there any other simpler means to do this?

The only way I can think of doing this without a computer is to try and locate a DVD or Bluray/HDD recorder from around 2010/11. As HDMI became more common, Firewire started to disappear from the mainstream, and I think there was only fairly short time when both Firewire and HDMI appeared on the same units.
The Panasonic DMR- BW880 Blu ray recorder had both a Firewire input and an HDMI output for example.. I'm sure there were others from around that time. Probably need to pick one up second hand these days though.....
I don't think there are any current PVR or Blu ray recorder models that still have Firewire inputs?
I can't think of any other way of doing what you want.... I've never seen an 'adaptor' to do this for example.... maybe someone else knows of something??....

Thanks Rogs. You're right that there doesn't seem to have any gadgets available to do such conversions. I'll do some research on your suggestions.

A desktop PC with firewire in and HDMI/DVI out is a possibility (this would be required anyway to capture recorded content in full quality). Pretty sure all such camcorders also have analogue outputs (AV out). These would connect to a TV scart socket.

Years ago I used to use a Convergent Design box to go from FireWire out the old Sony DV decks to SDI into FCP. The convergent design box was called the HD-Connect-MI.

I think that thing only outputted SDI though, and I guess you don't have an SDI capture card, so you would need to further convert that. Blackmagic do an SDI to HDMI box for about £80.

In theory it should work, and it's all a digital connection so there 'shouldn't' be a drop in quality... plus the audio and video are always going down the same cables, so you shouldn't get any a/v mismatch.

Pretty expensive, inelegant solution... But a solution none the less.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom