Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Denon Piccolo N4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tsonko

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

i just ordered Dali zensor 3 but i dont have any idea which amp to go with. I read a lot of articles in internet and i want some of these 3 models:

(prices are based on my country)
onkyo 9010 - best amp in whathifi - 220 euro
marantz 6005 - also very good regarding whathifi - 500 euro
denon piccolo n4 - i like the bluetooth in it - i want to use my smartphone as source as well - 250 euro

I am sure the first 2 are great amps. With double price of marantz probably ill go with onkyo but not sure yet. When i tested the speakers i used the same Marantz 6005 and it was amazing combination.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if it helps, but i listened recently to the Rubicon 5 with a Marantz pre and Bryston power amp and loved the sound it produced, so much so that i also went for them over Focal.
The Marantz would be my choice as you know already that its a combination that works for you if you can stretch to it.

PS treat all WhatHiFi reviews with a pinch of Salt, they have been known to say what everyone else thinks is amazing as ok, and to give amazing reviews to products that others think are ok (and gloss over faults with them) A little to in bed with their sponsors in short

Last edited:
I have two Onkyo Stereo Receivers, they are fine, very clear, but slightly lean on bass. I've had them for years and still use them.

Marantz are certainly high quality, but, while the make great sounding amps, they don't make especially powerfull amps. Both the Onkyo and the Marantz are about 45w/ch to 8 ohms.

As an alternative, I would offer -

Yamaha AS301 Integrated Amp, 60w/ch, DAC - £199 -

Yamaha AS301 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

Yamaha AS501 Integrated, 85w/ch, DAC - £249 -

Yamaha AS501 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

Yamaha are exceptional value, more power and an Optical/Coaxial DAC.

Marantz
are probably higher quality and including a DAC; bargain prices on the PM6005 now that the considerably more expensive PM6006 is released.

Onkyo are exceptionally clear.

As an alternative to the Onkyo A9010, consider the 75w/ch Onkyo A9050 with DAC (£289) -

Onkyo A9050 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

Or the Onkyo A9030 Integrated 65w/ch (no DAC) - £230 -

Onkyo A9030 Amplifier - Superfi

If you can afford the Marantz PM6005 at about £240, then you can afford the Yamaha AS501, and either the Onkyo 9030 or 9050. Though those amps are voiced very differently. The Yamaha tend to be on the smooth warm side. The Onkyo tend to be crisp and clear. Marantz would be inbetween.

Depending on your specific needs, and your budget limitations, the Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver has 80w/ch, bluetooth, and Network Streaming of audio from local storage and from the Internet -

Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver, 80w/ch, DAC, Bluetooth, Network Streaming, etc... - £339 -

Yamaha RN602 Networked Stereo Receiver - Superfi

That is an extremely modern very high value amp. Keeping in mind, to add Streaming to any other amp, you will typically have to spend between £250 and £500 just for the streaming device.

Here is a thread discussing that RN602 amp -

NEW: Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver!!!

Based on your implied budget, the Marantz PM6005 for quality, the Yamaha AS501 for power, Onkyo for crisp clairty. And if you can swing it, the Yamaha RN602 for exceptional value, high feature set, and still good quality.

If you buy the Marantz PM6005 or the Yamaha AS501, and, as indicated above, add Streaming and Bluetooth to it, count on spending considerably more money than the Yamaha RN602.

One other alternative very similar to the Yamaha RN602 -

Pioneer SX-N30, virtually identical specs to the Yamaha RN602 -

Pioneer SXN30 Network Receiver - Superfi

Pioneer SXN30DAB Network Receiver - Superfi

As you can see, the Pioneers are a bit more money.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom