'80 pc of you here have scratched your balls-' Germany's Lukas Podolski defends Joachim Löw's side-line faux pas

Samuel Stevens
© © Independent.co.uk

Lukas Podolski has stepped in to defend Joachim Löw after peculiar footage emerged of the Germany manager during the 2-0 victory against Ukraine in the European Championship.

The 56-year-old became the subject of unflattering social media attention after being spotted by television cameras appearing to reach down his trousers before smelling his hands afterwards.

But Podolski, hoping to be named in Löw’s starting line-up to face Poland at the Stade de France tomorrow night, insisted the furore is unjustified, saying “everything is good.”

The former Arsenal striker said: “It's not an issue. About 80 per cent of you here have at some point scratched your balls. Therefore, everything is good.”

Podolski was an unused substitute as the world champions opened their Euro 2016 campaign with a routine win against Ukraine, courtesy of goals from Shkodran Mustafi and Bastian Schweinsteiger, but question marks remain over the quality of their display.

Born in Poland but a regular feature in Germany sides down the years, the 31-year-old added: “It's a special game for me. Everyone knows the story. I was born in Poland, and I have friends and a large part of my family still living there.”