Best compact camera with DSLR features

SpeedDeman

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've got a D80 which is getting a little long in the tooth. Rather than buy myself something like a D5500, I was thinking of getting a compact camera that has advanced features and photo quality.

I had an OMD Em-10 which I didn't enjoy using, so I've been looking elsewhere.

The Sony RX100 IV seems like an excellent camera and the right genre I'm looking for.

That said, this type of camera is something I know little about and reading reviews only takes me so far.

I would be grateful for personal views of top quality compact cameras with near digital capabilties.

I changed from DSLR 5 years ago to a Panasonic Bridge FZ150, my wife has the Fuji SL1000 bridge, she previously had a Nikon D40. I've now change the 4 year old 150 for the 1000, very happy with all 3.

In order to assist further would you mind answering these questions:-

Are you wanting very good image quality as well or just DSLR like controls?
Does it need a long zoom?
Does it have to be pocketable?
What's your budget?

Hi Snerkler, my budget is up to £800. Size is important and I really would want it to be in the same size range as the Sony RXZ100. A long zoom isn't important (70mm is fine), but good low light performance and a decent battery are all important.

For low light performance you need a fast lens and and large sensor. In the compact (in terms of size) genre the largest sensor you're going to get and still get a zoom lens is the 1" type, such as Sony RX100's and Canon G7x's. There's nothing else really that'd fit your needs. The Panny TZ100 is a 1" type camera and looks great, but the lens is not as fast as the Sonys or Canons and so won't be as good in low light. Nikon have some very nice looking 1" type compacts coming out but there's been issues in production and they've been delayed, with no release date set as yet.

So imo your options come down to the Sony RX100 Mark III and Mark IV, and the Canon G7x and G7x Mark II. The Canon's are considerably cheaper, but they lack a viewfinder. If you want a viewfinder then your only option in the RX100. If you're not bothered about video so much I would save your money and get the Mark III rather than Mark IV. The Mark IV does have a faster maximum shutter speed which may help when shooting with wide apertures in bright light, but then they both have in built ND filters so not sure when you'd need a faster shutter than 1/2000. But even if you did let's be honest these cameras aren't the best at shallow DOF so does it really matter than much if you have to stop down?

As for the differences between the Canon G7x mark I and Mark II I'm struggling to see why the Mark II is so much more. Yes it can shoot at a slightly faster frame rate, and yes the new processor will give slightly better noise performance (in theory), but other than that the rest is the same (other than the form).

Just be aware that these compacts don't give you DSLR controls still, at least not the higher DSLRs. Whilst they give you full control a lot of it is menu based and so they are still not as quick and easy to access functions and make changes. They can be configured so that they're pretty good though.

Which lenses do you have for the Nikon?
As you could look at the Nikon 1 series.
They are quite small with interchangeable lenses. And with an adaptor you can use your existing nikon lenses. The J5 is the latest model

The Lumix LX100 looks like a really nice camera. Has a bigger sensor, a shutter dial, exposure comp dial and an aperture ring on its F1.7-2.8 Leica lens.

If you're like Snerks though a compact camera needs to fit in your budgie smugglers without making you look like a man :eek:, so it might be slightly too large :p

Last edited:
...would need to be pretty large to make @snerkler look like a man I reckon.... :p

The Lumix LX100 looks like a really nice camera. Has a bigger sensor, a shutter dial, exposure comp dial and an aperture ring on its F1.7-2.8 Leica lens.

If you're like Snerks though a compact camera needs to fit in your budgie smugglers without making you look like a man :eek:, so it might be slightly too large :p

...would need to be pretty large to make @snerkler look like a man I reckon.... :p
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Thank you all, especially Snerkler. It would appear that it does come down to the Sony RX series for me at that this point. I appreciate Delvey's suggestion about the interchangeable lens, but he rather misses the points, as what I want is a small profile and any DSLR is going undo that.

Snerkler, the upcoming 1" inch Nikon cameras sound interesting. What do we know about these and how it would compare to the class leading RX100 IV?

Thank you all, especially Snerkler. It would appear that it does come down to the Sony RX series for me at that this point. I appreciate Delvey's suggestion about the interchangeable lens, but he rather misses the points, as what I want is a small profile and any DSLR is going undo that.

Snerkler, the upcoming 1" inch Nikon cameras sound interesting. What do we know about these and how it would compare to the class leading RX100 IV?
Well until they're released we won't know for sure, but AF performance and FPS is apparently much better, using phase detect/contrast detect hybrid. The 24-85mm is obviously slightly longer reach, and will be much cheaper than the RX100-IV, and still quite a bit cheaper than the the RX100-III. However, it does not have a viewfinder. It does have a hotshoe so you can use a proper flash (or a nice dinky travel flash) and it also allows for the attachment on their add on EVF if you really need a viewfinder. I believe the viewfinder is bigger and better than the RX100 (which I didn't like much, bit small to look through) but of course it's a bit clumsy in that it's something extra to carry around. Having the G7x at the mo I've not really needed a viewfinder with this kind of camera tbh. The lens is supposed to be pretty good too, but I'll wait to see real world results as I'm not convinced initial reports are from unbiased people ;)
First Look: The New Nikon Compact DL 24-85 f1.8-2.8 and DL18-50 f1.8-2.8 Cameras Are Here - The Passionate Photographer

They are also bringing out an 18-50mm which looks a really nice camera, has a really nice lens with top quality coatings. However, it's noticeably bulkier than the 24-85mm which is marginally bigger than the RX100 (by about 2mm IIRC).

Hi Snerkler.

I have to say that that Nikon DL 24 - 85 looks superb. Big question is will it be better than the RX100 IV? There is a good straight up (thought numbers don't always tell the whole story) tale of the tape here: Nikon DL24-85 vs Sony RX100 IV Detailed Comparison

There is also an interesting battle here: Nikon DL24-85 vs Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II vs Sony RX100 IV - What Digital Camera

No release date as yet officially, any ideas? I think I want this!:thumbsup: Nikon DL24-85 | Premium compact | I AM THE INTO DETAILS 24/7

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 88
Hi Snerkler.

I have to say that that Nikon DL 24 - 85 looks superb. Big question is will it be better than the RX100 IV? There is a good straight up (thought numbers don't always tell the whole story) tale of the tape here: Nikon DL24-85 vs Sony RX100 IV Detailed Comparison

There is also an interesting battle here: Nikon DL24-85 vs Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II vs Sony RX100 IV - What Digital Camera

No release date as yet officially, any ideas? I think I want this!:thumbsup: Nikon DL24-85 | Premium compact | I AM THE INTO DETAILS 24/7
That direct comparison has neglected the fact that the Nikon has a hybrid AF system (ie phase and contrast detect) vs contrast detect only on the Sony, so the Nikon 'should' be better with moving subjects and in low light.

As for release date, it was originally set to be released June 2016 (ie now) but they had "serious issues with the integrated circuit for processing" and have not give any idea of a new release date.
Earthquakes, technical issues delay Nikon products: no release date known for new DL-series cameras

I am very interested in the DL24-85mm but there are two irks that could prevent me from upgrading from my G7x, and that's regarding the zoom. Firstly the zoom lever is in a ridiculous position (imo) and looks like it will be awkward to operate, why they have put it there and not 'around' the shutter release like Canon and Sony god only knows. Secondly, you have the option of step zoom like you do on the Canon and Sony BUT you can't use the step zoom and zoom lever in conjunction. I have my Canon set to step zoom (so 24mm , 35mm, 50mm etc) but sometimes I might move it to 50mm and want to tweak it slightly, which I can do by then moving the zoom lever. On the Nikon it does not look like you can do this as it appears that when in step zoom the zoom lever is disabled, the zoom lever only becomes active when the zoom ring is in the w-t position.

Ok so these seem like minor points, but part of the joy of photography is the pleasure in using your camera, if there are little irritants like this it could soon become annoying. The latter point wouldn't be such an issue if you just used the zoom lever, but as pointed out the lever looks to be in an awkward position :facepalm: I'll not know for sure until I get my hands on one, whenever that may be.

Depressingly, no news from Nikon at all. I'm really hoping to have the camera by August 2016. Anyone heard anything on the grapevine?

On certain Japanese manufacturers site there are reports of delays due to the recent earthquake. Maybe Nikon aren't admitting this is the cause.?

On certain Japanese manufacturers site there are reports of delays due to the recent earthquake. Maybe Nikon aren't admitting this is the cause.?
The earthquake has caused delays on certain products, but with the DL's there was a "serious" isue with the processing chip or something.

interesting thread - as I currently have a canon 100D with various lenses, but my mains ones are canon 15mm - 85mm ISM and for evening duties (and this is where a smaller camera needs to be really good) is a sigma 30mm f1.4...

as I've also looked at other cameras like the D-LUX type 9 etc... but still undecided...

main criteria - small (tho, will stretch to a canon GX 5 size as this has a viewfinder, needs to be decent in dark environments (appreciate it won't be good as my sigma) where I can take these drunken shots handheld...
IMG_7461 by me, on Flickr

IMG_8148 by me, on Flickr

still undecided tho...as it would replace my canon kit...

Last edited:
I know that OP is looking for a compact but is used to DSLR quality. My PDIL recently bought a Lumix GF7 with that neat 12-32mm f3.5-5.6 pancaking zoom lens and I was amazed at how much smaller it is than my GX7 with 14-42mm. Side by side is sits between my GX7 and my Lumix TZ6 in size and weight but it has a full MFT sensor. I have had a play around in low light and I can hand hold shots that would normally require flash and it turns in some great results. the best thing is that they can be found for 310GBP including shipping. The battery life isn't the best but we picked up a power planet triple pack of non OEM replacements for 20GBP. Is is so much fun that my son is getting one in favour of the OM10 that he had in his basket. If the Op needs smaller and EVF then the Lumix GM5 has to be the smallest MFT camera with interchangeable lens and EVF and it comes with the same tiny pancaking zoom at 560GBP

Hi folks, if I may hijack this thread a little - I`m also in the market for a "enthusiast" level compact, however my budget is rather small (~250$). For that reason I`m looking at older siblings of cameras mentioned in this thread - they can be had for a fraction of original RRP.

My main purpose is portable alternative to a DSLR (which I`m also going to buy in the near future). By "portable" I mean the largest would be hip-pouch size - that eliminates bridge/mirrorless options.
Photo IQ is my main concern - I`m not interested in secondary options like GPS/WiFi/video/design etc.

I shoot almost always outside: any subject, any conditions - also like the macro world a lot.

After a lot of reading the prime contender seems to be Sony RX100 (1st gen). Buying used from ebay would be just within my budget. However I also looked at Canon G1X, Fujifilm X20, Coolpix A and few others.

Any other choices/ideas or arguments against RX100 would be much appreciated.

Does the Canon G7x come within budget in the US? That's a better option than the gen 1 and 2 RX100 as has a wider aperture lens.

The G1x is a good option for IQ as has a bigger sensor, however aperture is slower than the G7x with it only being f5.6 at the long end vs f2.8 of the G7x so you will lose 2 stops of light which will make a difference in low light. The G1x is also bulky and AF isn't great.

G7x is sadly nearly twice my budget. I`m in UK and here it goes for about 400+ pounds.

I nearly bought G1x some time ago, however on closer inspection was put off but its very weak macro capability (and that slow AF too). Otherwise would get it since allegedly its IQ is superior to most of its peers.

G7x is sadly nearly twice my budget. I`m in UK and here it goes for about 400+ pounds.

I nearly bought G1x some time ago, however on closer inspection was put off but its very weak macro capability (and that slow AF too). Otherwise would get it since allegedly its IQ is superior to most of its peers.
I picked up a mint used G7x for £285

Either you were lucky or prices have risen recently - the ones I watch on ebay now go for around 400. It seems paradoxical for older tech but happens sometime. For example I heard that RX100 was sold in Argos/Jessops not long ago for 250 pounds. Now it`s 280, and little less via BuyItNow.

Anyway, just won an auction for RX100 (195 pounds), hopefully will stick with it for a while. I admit this whole pro-compact segment is intoxicating, if I had funds I would probably hunt something even better. Alas, if I do that then will have nothing left for DSLR :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom