Oppo 103 to Synology DS415play without transcoding?

DaveH

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have the above Oppo and currently I have files on my PC and using OShare (a DLNA piece of software) I can easily view any folders I have added to OShare on the network option on the Oppo.

While the Oppo has no nice artwork etc, I am very impressed by the Oppo's picture on the files. In my opinion it is better than my dedicated TVIX media player.

Anyway, I need a NAS and eventually I am going to get a DS415Play and build a HTPC like a NUC with XBMC or maybe Plex to access the NAS.

For now, back to the Oppo, I wonder if it is possible to hook up the NAS on the network in my router and read the files off of the NAS on the Oppo under Network?

I know the NAS has a dlna option so I could view the files, but what I don't want to happen is for this unit to do any transcoding etc or use its software that cannot do DTS. DTS is very important to me.

Basically what I am asking is, is it possible for me to setup some shared folders on the NAS itself and for the Oppo 103 to just access the folders, play the files and the Oppo passes all the information to my Onkyo amp so I get DTS and DTS HD?

Similar to what I do now basically but without using the PC and Oshare? I just want to Oppo to access the NAS directly and not lose DTS and DTS HD.

Thanks,

I don't know Oppo (someone else here almost certainly will) but check to see if it can access media through "SMB/CIFS" or "NFS" type network Shares. These are basic network file sharing mechanisms that allow network clients to access files published therein (any files, not just media.)

Whether the Oppo will be able to "play" the media through a SMB/CIFS/NFSa share is a function of it's support for the file formats and sound/video/subtitle encoding mechanisms used to create the media. If a file is not in an acceptable format for your Oppo to "play" as it, you may need to do a one-time transcode into a suitable format.

Last edited:
Thanks,

According to the Wiki for the 93 Oppo it cannot:

Can the BDP-93 access smb/nfs network shares?
Not at this time and though unlikely, it may be possible to add it in a future firmware release. Currently it only supports a DLNA client and should be able to communicate with most DLNA certified media servers

I have a 103 Oppo (not that drastically different) not sure if it cannot.

Bummer, oh well.

I'd wait for for somewhat that knows DLNA better than I, but from what I understand of most media server (Plex et al) they only do real time transcode because they think they have to, ie, they've concluded that the client device cannot "play" the media in it's native format and thus transcoding is required. If you store the media in a format that your Oppo can "play native," even using DLNA as the network sharing and access mechanism, it shouldn't require the server to transcode. That's to say, I don't believe "transcoding" is implied/required by a DLNA compliant media server.

I had a quick play with this on my FreeSat box (DLNA client) a while ago and the server I used (mini-DLNA on a Linux server) definitely didn't transcode and as long as the media was in a format my FreeSat box recognised, it played it quite happily. (I gave up on it fairly quickly for other reasons - the FreeSat box didn't recognise as many media formats as another media streamer I use so I didn't persist.)

Cheers.

Well I don't mind using the synology's internal server software as long as a file that is DTS or DTS ma is not converted on the synology before going to my oppo.

If the oppo, which can play these mkv etc files, can play them without losing the DTS then I'm happy.

Just can't find this out online.

Try out Plex. There's an App for Plex you install on the Synology itself. I run it on my DS1813+ and it's great for TV and Films giving you a Netflix style interface. There are options in Plex for whether you want your NAS box to do any on the fly transcoding or not (I'd suggest not) that you can play around with.

Whilst there's no Plex app for the Oppo you should still be able to browse the Plex librarys files with your Oppo using DNLA. For my main TV, I use the third party PlexConnect app for the Synology that connects it to my AppleTV with a clever little hack. MKV playback is good (this is over ethernet, not tried wireless). But fast forwarding or rewinding MKV files often causes the playback to end. So I find MKV you just need to watch it all the way through, pausing works fine though.

Hope that's some help!

Great stuff thanks for that.

I take it then that with the Plex app on a DS415Play it can pass the DTS MA and DD True HD right?

If so this will all that I need.

I know what you mean about MKV, I often have encountered the fast forward and rewinding function issue. Pause is ok though

In late 2015:

You may have to update your firmware - but any oppo CAN browse nfs shares effortlessly and play all the content effortlessly too... If you have an oppo you have a wonderful machine with great capability - YOU MAY NOT NEED xbmc (kodi) or plex or any media player. I have 1080p 60 frames/second video in .mov on a nfs share on my network - the ip of the box with the share shows up already in oppo network, i browse to a file select and it plays in a second, use pause, stop, next, prev without any delay and no buffering problems ever, these files can get up to 30M/s too!

I had both xbmc (years ago)and plex and its just constant problems that are oddly different every time. Just yesterday I added a folder with 9,000 pictures in it to plex, same folder was also on a nfs share - using the oppo - i browsed to the nfs share and viewed pictures effortlessly and it worked perfectly, did the same using the plex library and additionally through plex - three freak outs and no love. cifs - what are you going to do? There are nine ways to skin a cat - nowadays seems nobody thinks about all these other options.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom