LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI adapter driver

mylonite

Hi everyone,

I recently had an issue with a Sony VAIO PCG-7U1N (VGN-FJ12B / W) running an XP (SP3) system that had some ancient drivers on board for the wireless LAN card LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI Adapter. After a number of hours trawling Google and several failed driver downloads, I managed to locate some information which in turn allowed me to successfully locate and update the driver. This allowed me to access WPA2 - PSK protocol and the AES encryption I was after in the first place.

I figure I might post this out there so in the future people trying to locate the driver can do so easily.. Hopefully they find this post.

The card happily accepts the drivers for the Atheros AR2425 chipset.

So find the 802ABG_Atheros_v5_1_1_9 file and install it. Good Luck

x

Additional Step for some...

Thanks mylonite for your post it helped me out tremendously in pointing me towards resovling this problem for my Sony Vaio K-27 laptop.

The only thing I would add to others reading this post is that if the previous suggestions do not fix your problem of not being able to connect to a WPA2 secured network then to also try another Atheros driver 802 abg Atheos Ver 5.3.0.45

This driver ended up being the one to work for me and my computer. You can find at this link:members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=1217062&si=9794938d095b5ec38e453f2901dc8dd3[/url]

Hope this helps!

Wow, the power of the internet, a good search engine, and a community. Here's my thanks to mylonite and grock87. I tried the 5.3.0.45 version and it worked on my ancient PCG-GRT360ZG.

Hi Mylonite,
Just to say thank you for your posting. I am one that was looking for a solution on a Win XP SP3 Sony vaio of a friend of mine. Thanks to your posting I was able to connect her worn out, beaten, ancient computer to the wireless network using WPA2. This kind of insight and info is seldom, if not never, available on Microsoft support websites knowledge base and other major sources.
Once again thank you!
Pedro

Excellent, it works also for me, tks !!! :cool:
with an old Sony VAIOPCG K115S and XP SP3 (y)
(with wireless LAN card LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI Adapter )

I really appreciated the tip, but after I downloaded the Atheros driver, nothing magical happened. I downloaded the driver, rebooted the computer, and the wireless adapter is still using its original driver. When I tried to manually "update" the driver so that I could select the Atheros driver myself, it doesn't appear in the list. Is there some other manual step I am supposed to carry out? I appreciate the help, and please remember, I am not a power user! Thanks.

I forgot to mention, my adapter is a LAN-Express IL IEEE 802.11g MiniPCI Adapter, NOT an "AS...." does this mean I am dead in the water?

Maybe it's the way you worded your post but you said you downloaded the driver but you didn't say you installed it. You should also uninstall the old driver to avoid driver conflicts with the same device.

Thank you SOOOO much Mylonite.
After spending hours in the web, reading useless advice to solve the problem,
I found your post.
It SOLVED MY PROBLEM IMMEDIATELY.
Now, I have the WPA2-PSK option, on my old Sony Vaio laptop.
Thank you again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I confirm this fix works with the Vaio PCV-F31P with Windows XP Professional SP3. Thanks for sharing this fix, Mylonite.

Last edited:
I can confirm this worked (802ABG_Atheros_v5_1_1_9) great on an old Sony Vaio PCG-K25. Thanks for sharing, it saved me a ton of time, if I would have figured it out at all.

Back