Outstanding tax demand of 2 lakhs even after paying tax!

Nefario (Others) (29 Points)

29 October 2014  

Hello Tax Experts!

Quick question: I noticed some huge amount in my outstanding tax demand in AY2008-09 even after paying all taxes, what should I do?

More details:

I have been a regular tax payer for over a decade. I started using the e-filing facility when it bacame available, but never bothered to explore that site apart from yearly tax filings. 

Recently I happened to view the "Outstanding tax demand" page in the site and I was shocked to see that there is an outstanding demand of over 200000 rupees for AY 2008-09. I am sure that I had paid all my taxes for FY 2007-08 (It was deducted at source from my employer). 

The weird thing is that, the outstanding tax demand page is inconsistent - sometimes it lists nothing, sometimes it lists the amount for AY2008-09 and sometimes it lists Rs 3/- for another AY. 

Here is how it lists it:

I double checked my ITR-V for AY2008-09 and also the form16 given by my employer and it has the proof that my tax has been paid:

Do you think I should be alarmed? Should I raise a rectification request for this issue or just stay low and do not bother about it at all?

During that financial year, my only income was from Salary and there was no other income. 

Thanks in Advance!